CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Our Class

Friday, 26 April 2013

Our Recent Class Read Aloud - Holes


    Recently our class finished reading the novel Holes by Louis Sachar.  We really enjoyed this novel because it was filled with mysteries that focused on the theme of destiny.  The main character of the novel is Stanley Yelnats, a boy whose first name is his last name spelled backwards.  The novel reveals to the reader how Stanley’s life, both past and present, is connected to the stories of the other characters. 

    To celebrate the end of the novel (and my last day as a teacher candidate in the classroom), we watched the Disney movie version of Holes.  We also made a special snack – worms and dirt! – that fit into our Holes theme.



Here is what the class had to say about Holes.  **SPOILER ALERT**

Thor – I liked when Stanley and Zero were climbing the mountain and broke the curse.
Thomas – I liked when Stanley and Zero were released and Camp Green Lake became a girl scout camp.
Taylor – I liked when the lizards didn’t bite Stanley and Zero.
Angelynne – I liked when the sploosh saved Stanley and Zero.
Inderdeep – I liked when they survived in the desert.
Seth – I liked when Stanley, Zero, and Zigzag were fighting.
Efrel – I liked when they found the onion patch.
Alyssa – I liked when Zero told Stanley that he took the shoes.
Mackenzie – I liked when Stanley told Zero that there was an Italian restaurant on the top of Big Thumb.
Delson – I liked when they had the Superbowl party.
Jamie – I liked when Zero’s mom sang to Zero at the end.
Emily – I liked when Zero found his mom.
Jules – I liked Sam’s onion patch on Big Thumb.
Angelica – I liked when Stanley sang the song to Zero.
Quintin – I liked when Kissin’ Kate Barlow killed the sheriff.
Kyrra – I liked when Stanley and Zero were digging the hole at night.
Aidain – I liked when Mr. Pendanski got hit in the face with the shovel.
Ms. Wiens – One of my favourite parts was when Stanley made the joke about Mary Lou in a bikini.

    As a class, we loved reading Holes!  I am glad we had the chance to celebrate the novel for my last day at Brooklands.  To the students of Room 16 – I will miss you very much, and want to thank you for all the learning and fun we have had together this year!  I wish you the best for the rest of this year and beyond.

Written by Ms. Wiens and the students of Room 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment